Historic Naval Fiction Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
If you would like to help keep this site going please

AS THIS IS A FREE FORUM ADVERTS FROM THE SERVICE PROVIDER APPEAR TO THE RIGHT OF THIS NOTICE AND THEY ARE NOT CONNECTED TO THIS SITE.
Services Menu
PURCHASE BOOKS DISCUSSED
If you have heard about a book in this forum and would now like to read it yourself Astrodene has brought together links to purchase them. Links are available for the UK, USA, Canada, Austalia and New Zealand
ASSOCIATED WEB SITE
ARTICLES OF WAR (Forum rules)
FUTURE RELEASES CALENDAR
IMAGES GALLERY
VIDEO CHANNEL
SUBSCRIBE TO NEWSLETTER
Similar topics
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Someone Write a Biography of Richard Bolitho!
Caribbee (Book 14) EmptyThu 12 Oct 2023, 16:51 by 80 Winters

» What would you like the next book to cover?
Caribbee (Book 14) EmptyThu 12 Oct 2023, 08:19 by Port of Olcott

» Douglas Reeman is dying
Caribbee (Book 14) EmptyThu 12 Oct 2023, 06:56 by Port of Olcott

» Alexander Kent general discussion.
Caribbee (Book 14) EmptyThu 05 Oct 2023, 22:51 by jkeffer

» A Horatio Hornblower Short Story as Written by ChatGPT
Caribbee (Book 14) EmptyTue 11 Apr 2023, 01:00 by TonnerreDeBrest

» CSF in First Edition!
Caribbee (Book 14) EmptyMon 11 Jul 2022, 12:16 by broughstar

» On the Barbary Coast
Caribbee (Book 14) EmptyWed 01 Jun 2022, 05:10 by 80 Winters

» Yankee Mission - Book 25
Caribbee (Book 14) EmptyMon 15 Nov 2021, 00:22 by 80 Winters

» Book #24 - Thunderer
Caribbee (Book 14) EmptySun 31 Oct 2021, 01:19 by reb01501

Latest News on the Web Site
Use of Cookies
By using this site, you agree we can set and use cookies. For more details of these cookies and how to disable them, see our cookie policy.

Caribbee (Book 14)

5 posters

Go down

Caribbee (Book 14) Empty Caribbee (Book 14)

Post by 80 Winters Sun 20 May 2012, 19:50

Book 14 Caribbee (the title could change between now and publication) is scheduled to be available in October 2013. A brief statement from Julian "Kydd sails into the Caribbean as captain of a frigate".
80 Winters
80 Winters
Rear-Admiral of the Blue
Rear-Admiral of the Blue

Log Entries : 2079

Back to top Go down

Caribbee (Book 14) Empty CARIBBEE Review

Post by perfent Sun 29 Sep 2013, 16:44

I won an advance proof and this is the review I sent Julian...

Julian,

Thank you very much for the opportunity to win an advance proof of your new novel CARIBBEE.  It was a joy to read with plenty of twists and turns.  From the beginning of the series I have enjoyed the character of Thomas Kydd and I’m pleased that you continue to keep him very human instead of an invincible comic book character.  He has doubts and anxieties like all of us and that draws me to him.  

Bringing him and Renzi back to the West Indies was a good idea and it brought out some history I wasn’t aware of - that being the importance of the sugar trade to England and the fear of Napoleon's “master stroke” to take it away from them.  It made me do some research on Admiral Dacres and Captain Brisbane of the Arathusa.  Sure enough, Captain Brisbane sailed from Jamaica to take possession of the island of Curacao.  That’s one of the joys of reading historical fiction...you learn things.  It was of interest to find out more of Tysoe’s background.  Like the rest of the men of the ship, they all have fascinating stories.  

Finally I loved how you brought out shades of “The Caine Mutiny” with Captain Tyrell.  I guess that story has been going on since the beginning of ocean travel.  And also the deeper look into English society.  As an American, I have always been put-off with people who will not allow someone of a lower rank into their midst, (although, the truth is, it happens in all countries).  I thought Kydd was over this predicament and it came as a shock to have it raise its ugly head again in his life.  Renzi’s character did a wonderful job in explaining “their” side of it.  Again...I learned something.

Keep up the excellent story telling and I look forward to “Pasha”.

A fan,

Dave S

perfent
Landsman
Landsman

Log Entries : 1

Back to top Go down

Caribbee (Book 14) Empty Re: Caribbee (Book 14)

Post by Astrodene Sun 29 Sep 2013, 16:53

Thanks for the update

Astrodene
Astrodene
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Log Entries : 2866

http://www.historicnavalfiction.com

Back to top Go down

Post by 80 Winters Thu 03 Oct 2013, 00:45

Just ordered my 'Kindle copy' of Caribbee even though I've been (and remain) a subscriber to Julian's 'limited editions' since the beginning and will continue to do so with hopes that I'll 'at least' make it to the end of the "Kydd series" (that should be about another 10 books).
Unfortunately, Amazon tells me that it won't be 'delivered to my cloud' until 1 Nov......."rats".
80 Winters
80 Winters
Rear-Admiral of the Blue
Rear-Admiral of the Blue

Back to top Go down

Post by 80 Winters Fri 01 Nov 2013, 16:35

The 'Kindle' version of Caribbee is now available from Amazon.
80 Winters
80 Winters
Rear-Admiral of the Blue
Rear-Admiral of the Blue

Back to top Go down

Post by 80 Winters Thu 07 Nov 2013, 00:26

With Caribbee 'in my wake', I'm left with the same satisfaction that comes after 'dining' at a good table, and feel that Julian Stockwin has 'served up one of his best' (to date).

I've been there with Thomas Paine Kydd on that ill fated night when he chose 'companionship' at the Horse and Groom in Marrow and 'every step of the way' since. This novel, in my estimation, is the product of a natural progression (with small exception) that here has given us a full blown HNF "classic" with all the 'twists and turns, side plots, and their effects on the character growth of Kydd.  Stockwin's 'prose' as used to describe events has a fabric like 'texture' that benefits my reading experience.

I rank Julian Stockwin's Kydd series with the best of C.S. Forester, Dudly Pope, Alexander Kent, Richard Woodman and few others of the modern era of HNF.
They say that 'practice makes perfect' and Caribbee is good proof.

It's in my library in both HB 'limited edition' and Kindle and I found it a "rattlin' good read.
80 Winters
80 Winters
Rear-Admiral of the Blue
Rear-Admiral of the Blue

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul-B Wed 11 Dec 2013, 14:09

I too have both the Limited Edition and the Kindle copy. Thoroughly enjoyed the book, better than it's predecessor, I think.
And I'm looking forward to the next one...
Paul-B
Paul-B
Master
Master

Log Entries : 136

Back to top Go down

Caribbee (Book 14) Empty Carribee

Post by Tony de Villiers Tue 25 Mar 2014, 10:55

I have just finished Carribee, (Kidd 14) Easy read and well paced but the thing I most appreciated was the delicate way Stockwin was able to refer back to previous episodes without getting bogged down in tedious repeats of events we read about months or years ago. This is a annoying problem when reading a series; the pages devoted to bring the reader up to speed on how, where and when things unfolded to get us where we are now . Apparently some writers feel that if we are reading, say episode 10, we need to know what happened in episodes 1 to 9. I agree it is sometimes necessary but the ability of not intruding on the story line, pace, and blending the history BRIEFLY into the plot is an art few seem to master.
Julian Stockwin does a classic job in this regard in Carribee. If the past events intrigue, and you need to know the story, go and buy the relative book!!
Tony de Villiers
Tony de Villiers
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Log Entries : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down