FOR UNREGISTERED USERS ADVERTS FROM THE SERVICE PROVIDER APPEAR TO THE RIGHT OF THIS NOTICE AND THEY ARE NOT CONNECTED TO THIS SITE. IF YOU REGISTER TO BECOME A MEMBER THEY WILL NO LONGER APPEAR.
Services Menu
PURCHASE BOOKS DISCUSSED
If you have heard about a book in this forum and would now like to read it yourself Astrodene has brought together links to purchase them. Links are available for the UK, USA, Canada, Austalia and New Zealand
ASSOCIATED WEB SITE
ARTICLES OF WAR (Forum rules)
FUTURE RELEASES CALENDAR
IMAGES GALLERY
VIDEO CHANNEL
SUBSCRIBE TO NEWSLETTER
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Cutty Sark
Tue 23 Dec 2014, 09:33 by broughstar

» HMS Trincomalee joins National Museum of the Royal Navy
Tue 23 Dec 2014, 01:22 by broughstar

» admiral collingwood.
Mon 22 Dec 2014, 02:46 by broughstar

» patrick obrians 100th birthday
Sun 21 Dec 2014, 21:48 by broughstar

» BBC Radio Book Club
Tue 16 Dec 2014, 01:10 by broughstar

» HMS Bounty
Sun 14 Dec 2014, 01:19 by broughstar

» G S Beard Discussion
Thu 11 Dec 2014, 08:35 by andre1d

» Boney's hat...
Wed 19 Nov 2014, 15:12 by Matz

» Ramage Series - Entertaining, despite flaws
Sat 15 Nov 2014, 03:38 by 80 Winters

Latest News on the Web Site
Use of Cookies
By using this site, you agree we can set and use cookies. For more details of these cookies and how to disable them, see our cookie policy.

Jack Tar Roy and Lesley Adkins

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Jack Tar Roy and Lesley Adkins

Post by Alaric Bond on Sat 26 Mar 2011, 17:31

The strap line to this book reads "The extraordinary lives of ordinary seamen in Nelson's navy," and that sums it up perfectly. With chapters on all aspects of the seaman's world, it gives a complete picture of the men, the time, and the conditions. My only criticism, if criticism it be, is that the chapters are long, and rather breathless, with so much information presented without natural breaks as to make the narrative indigestible at times. That said there is a rich vein of solid information here, and I can see it becoming established as an essential reference book for many years to come. Comprehensive notes, a bibliography, and index complete the package. Buy it to read, to dip into, or to have on hand as a reference tool, but make sure it is on your book shelve.

Alaric Bond
Rear-Admiral of the White
Rear-Admiral of the White

Log Entries: 454
.:

http://www.alaricbond.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Jack Tar Roy and Lesley Adkins

Post by Astrodene on Sat 26 Mar 2011, 19:35

That ones been on my wish list for some time. Sounds like it's a good one to have.

http://historicnavalfiction.com *** http://www.astrodene.com

Astrodene
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Log Entries: 2468

http://www.historicnavalfiction.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Joolz on Mon 03 Oct 2011, 19:26

Currently reading this and thoroughly enjoying it. I guess I should know a lot of it already, having been an HNF reader for as long as I can remember, but it's nice to read about it all in one place and I particularly like the constant use of quotes from people who were actually there.

Joolz
Master
Master

Log Entries: 145

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul-B on Tue 04 Oct 2011, 17:24

Thanks for the information. I've just ordered this from Ebay, 3.58 delivered - a bargain. There are plenty of copies available on the UK 'bay.

Paul-B
Master
Master

Log Entries: 136

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul-B on Sat 29 Oct 2011, 23:59

To follow on, this book is an absolute bargain, and a goldmine if you love HNF. It's beautifully written, incredibly well-researched. I'm still reading through my copy, it is a definite must for anyone interested in the Nelson's Navy. It's one of those rare books you can read all the way through, sequentially, then retain to dip into for many years to come.
As Joolz says, the quotations from those who were involved and wrote about it at the time are worth the cost of the book alone, a rare find, and unbeatable at the price.

Paul-B
Master
Master

Back to top Go down

Post by TRDG on Mon 31 Oct 2011, 23:48

Any big "surprises" in there or something that really struck each of you that you did'nt think it was like "that" in reality?

Cheers, thanks

Tom

TRDG
Commander
Commander

Log Entries: 402

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul-B on Tue 01 Nov 2011, 19:54

I'm still deep into it, but one of the best things about this book is the number of quotations/writings from those of all ranks which were made at the time.

The biggest surprise for me was the revelation as to the number of prostitutes who were allowed to stay in various ships when they were in port - I always knew there were some, but in some cases the wives and prostitutes outnumbered the crew, to the extent that in August 1782 The "Royal George", which was anchored at Spithead and had her lower gunports open for the embarkation of stores, heeled over and filled with water, subsequently sinking, partly due to the number of wives, prostitutes and dock-workers on board. She was heeling over when the people on board started to slip down the canted decks, the weight on one side causing the lower gunports to rapidly fill with seawater, ultimately causing her to sink, with the loss of 617 lives.

Paul-B
Master
Master

Back to top Go down

Post by TRDG on Mon 07 Nov 2011, 16:23

WOW, now that is pretty wild, thanks for that sir!!

Cheers, don't get between the sailors and their women, even if it costs them their beloved ship it seems like!! LOL

Tom

TRDG
Commander
Commander

Log Entries: 402

Back to top Go down

Post by leonidas on Sat 12 Nov 2011, 06:33

Made my weekend when the local library said I was head of the reserved list. Picked it up, and a five minute dip indicates the treasures that lie within!

That is the weekend taken care of.....its slightly damp today.

leonidas
Midshipman
Midshipman

Log Entries: 154

Back to top Go down

Post by lindacollison on Sun 27 Nov 2011, 14:20

I'm delighted to say I've just received Jack Tar in the mail and am happily engaged. This is a must-have companion for historic British naval fiction fans -- and authors, too!

lindacollison
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Log Entries: 52
.:

http://www.lindacollison.com

Back to top Go down

Post by leonidas on Sun 27 Nov 2011, 17:31

Yes it is a fine book and I have devoured much of it!

leonidas
Midshipman
Midshipman

Log Entries: 154

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top