If you would like to help keep this site going please

AS THIS IS A FREE FORUM ADVERTS FROM THE SERVICE PROVIDER APPEAR TO THE RIGHT OF THIS NOTICE AND THEY ARE NOT CONNECTED TO THIS SITE.
Services Menu
PURCHASE BOOKS DISCUSSED
If you have heard about a book in this forum and would now like to read it yourself Astrodene has brought together links to purchase them. Links are available for the UK, USA, Canada, Austalia and New Zealand
ASSOCIATED WEB SITE
ARTICLES OF WAR (Forum rules)
FUTURE RELEASES CALENDAR
IMAGES GALLERY
VIDEO CHANNEL
SUBSCRIBE TO NEWSLETTER
Similar topics
    Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
    » O'Brian talking books
    The Reaper EmptyWed 11 Sep 2019, 06:52 by elfridaauston87

» The Scent of Corruption
    The Reaper EmptyMon 19 Aug 2019, 08:46 by maritimemanual

» Women in the Kydd series
    The Reaper EmptyThu 15 Aug 2019, 16:21 by lindacollison

» Capture of the Danae and a question of prize money
    The Reaper EmptyTue 13 Aug 2019, 01:00 by Cadmaster

» C S Forester Society
    The Reaper EmptyTue 25 Jun 2019, 16:21 by 80 Winters

» Names from Hornblower
    The Reaper EmptyTue 25 Jun 2019, 16:20 by Alaric Bond

» Sea Trials
    The Reaper EmptyThu 23 May 2019, 07:07 by Alaric Bond

» Swedish Hornblower Society
    The Reaper EmptyThu 02 May 2019, 23:21 by 80 Winters

» HMS Prometheus
    The Reaper EmptySat 20 Apr 2019, 10:32 by Odissee

Latest News on the Web Site
    Use of Cookies
    By using this site, you agree we can set and use cookies. For more details of these cookies and how to disable them, see our cookie policy.

The Reaper

Go down

The Reaper Empty The Reaper

Post by Astrodene on Mon 18 Apr 2011, 12:32

The author was kind enough to send me this book some time ago and it's taken far to long to get round to reading it. A fast paced book which I enjoyed so have already started the next in the series. There is a full review on the website

Astrodene
    Astrodene
    Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral of the Fleet

Log Entries : 2863

http://www.historicnavalfiction.com

Back to top Go down

The Reaper Empty Re: The Reaper

Post by pauljm on Tue 28 Oct 2014, 20:39

I recently read this title, the first of Michael Aye's books I have seen. I was hoping this author would produce works as convincing as those of (say) Peter Smalley or Alaric Bond, but, based on this title, I was sadly mistaken.

The anachronisms are glaring and repeated; they put me off the book right from the beginning, when Lord Sandwich (died 1792)  and the Prince Regent (assumed the title 1811) appear together. Then there's the names and styles of the characters...there were 2800 post-captains in the Georgian navy: none was named Gabriel and only two were named Gilbert. Couldn't the author have chosen names more in sympathy with the period about which he was (supposedly) writing? And what's all this with senior officers addressing juniors as "Gil" and "Gabe". The famously taciturn Lord Howe would never have used such an inappropriate (for the 18th century) way of addressing one of his captains.

As for the climax, when one of the characters calls down a raven from the sky to rip out the eyes of the enemy captain, give me a break! The genre is called HISTORIC naval fiction,  and while Lambdin has introduced a supernatural element into his novels, at least there is some ambiguity about what is going on.

All in all, I found "The Reaper" really disappointing on a number of levels. However, I may try another Michael Aye title in the hopes that maybe it gets better, but I'm not holding my breath.
    pauljm
    pauljm
    Chief Petty Officer
    Chief Petty Officer

Log Entries : 62

Back to top Go down