Historic Naval Fiction Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
If you would like to help keep this site going please

AS THIS IS A FREE FORUM ADVERTS FROM THE SERVICE PROVIDER APPEAR TO THE RIGHT OF THIS NOTICE AND THEY ARE NOT CONNECTED TO THIS SITE.
Services Menu
PURCHASE BOOKS DISCUSSED
If you have heard about a book in this forum and would now like to read it yourself Astrodene has brought together links to purchase them. Links are available for the UK, USA, Canada, Austalia and New Zealand
ASSOCIATED WEB SITE
ARTICLES OF WAR (Forum rules)
FUTURE RELEASES CALENDAR
IMAGES GALLERY
VIDEO CHANNEL
SUBSCRIBE TO NEWSLETTER
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Doctor in the house
Did Hornblower cheat? EmptyTue 23 Apr 2024, 01:32 by 80 Winters

» Julian Stockwin discussion
Did Hornblower cheat? EmptySat 13 Apr 2024, 15:17 by pauljm

» Not so much Hornblower....
Did Hornblower cheat? EmptyWed 03 Apr 2024, 11:21 by broughstar

» Someone Write a Biography of Richard Bolitho!
Did Hornblower cheat? EmptyThu 12 Oct 2023, 16:51 by 80 Winters

» What would you like the next book to cover?
Did Hornblower cheat? EmptyThu 12 Oct 2023, 08:19 by Port of Olcott

» Douglas Reeman is dying
Did Hornblower cheat? EmptyThu 12 Oct 2023, 06:56 by Port of Olcott

» Alexander Kent general discussion.
Did Hornblower cheat? EmptyThu 05 Oct 2023, 22:51 by jkeffer

» A Horatio Hornblower Short Story as Written by ChatGPT
Did Hornblower cheat? EmptyTue 11 Apr 2023, 01:00 by TonnerreDeBrest

» CSF in First Edition!
Did Hornblower cheat? EmptyMon 11 Jul 2022, 12:16 by broughstar

Latest News on the Web Site
Use of Cookies
By using this site, you agree we can set and use cookies. For more details of these cookies and how to disable them, see our cookie policy.

Did Hornblower cheat?

2 posters

Go down

Did Hornblower cheat? Empty Did Hornblower cheat?

Post by zajuts149 Fri 16 Jun 2017, 12:29

Hi, I'm new to this forum, and I only registered to ask this question which has puzzled me a little.
It's been a while since I read Midshipman Hornblower, but watched the series recently. Hornblower joined the Navy at 17, but he became a lieutenant fairly quickly. IIRC, the rules for promotion was that you had pass the examination, which you had to be 19 years old to stand for. You also had to have served a minimum of 6 years at sea. I don't think you needed 6 years as a midshipman, but still, you would have to serve 6 years before you could present yourself to an examination board.
This means that if Hornblower played by the rules, he could become a lieutenant at 23 at the earliest. Now, I got the impression that Captain Keane knew Hornblower's father rather well, and that was the reason Horatio was given a place on his ship. You had to have the connections to get your foot in the door back then, even if later promotion came from merit. From Patrick O'Brien's books, I understand that it was not unusual to have children of friends and relatives registered on the ship's books, even if they were still home and at school. This was illegal, but done anyway. Since Hornblower obviously didn't serve 6 years at sea before becoming a lieutenant, did Hornblower's father make a deal with Captain Keane to have Horatio on illegally on the ships books while Horatio was still at school?

zajuts149
Landsman
Landsman

Log Entries : 1

Back to top Go down

Did Hornblower cheat? Empty Re: Did Hornblower cheat?

Post by pauljm Mon 19 Jun 2017, 15:47

Did Hornblower cheat? Of course he did, just like any one else who had the connections to have a captain put his son's name on the books of a ship before the youngster actually made an appearance on board. This 'book time' was a widespread practice, and unofficially condoned by the Admiralty in the interests of keeping the community of prospective naval officers and their families happy. It enabled those who benefited to get a leg up in the scramble for seniority towards that all-important promotion to post captain.

The rules said the prospective lieutenant must have 6 years at sea, have reached the rank of midshipman or master's mate, and be at least 19 years old to be eligible for the examination for lieutenant. Since Hornblower was 17 when he entered the navy in 1794, he would have needed book time to show six years at sea when he was promoted to lieutenant in 1797, when he was 21. Surprisingly, Parkinson in his 'biography' doesn't mention this issue, an uncharacteristic oversight by a very fine historian.

pauljm
pauljm
Masters Mate
Masters Mate

Log Entries : 81

Back to top Go down