Historic Naval Fiction Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
If you would like to help keep this site going please

AS THIS IS A FREE FORUM ADVERTS FROM THE SERVICE PROVIDER APPEAR TO THE RIGHT OF THIS NOTICE AND THEY ARE NOT CONNECTED TO THIS SITE.
Services Menu
PURCHASE BOOKS DISCUSSED
If you have heard about a book in this forum and would now like to read it yourself Astrodene has brought together links to purchase them. Links are available for the UK, USA, Canada, Austalia and New Zealand
ASSOCIATED WEB SITE
ARTICLES OF WAR (Forum rules)
FUTURE RELEASES CALENDAR
IMAGES GALLERY
VIDEO CHANNEL
SUBSCRIBE TO NEWSLETTER
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Doctor in the house
C S Forester Hornblower series - Page 2 EmptyTue 23 Apr 2024, 01:32 by 80 Winters

» Julian Stockwin discussion
C S Forester Hornblower series - Page 2 EmptySat 13 Apr 2024, 15:17 by pauljm

» Not so much Hornblower....
C S Forester Hornblower series - Page 2 EmptyWed 03 Apr 2024, 11:21 by broughstar

» Someone Write a Biography of Richard Bolitho!
C S Forester Hornblower series - Page 2 EmptyThu 12 Oct 2023, 16:51 by 80 Winters

» What would you like the next book to cover?
C S Forester Hornblower series - Page 2 EmptyThu 12 Oct 2023, 08:19 by Port of Olcott

» Douglas Reeman is dying
C S Forester Hornblower series - Page 2 EmptyThu 12 Oct 2023, 06:56 by Port of Olcott

» Alexander Kent general discussion.
C S Forester Hornblower series - Page 2 EmptyThu 05 Oct 2023, 22:51 by jkeffer

» A Horatio Hornblower Short Story as Written by ChatGPT
C S Forester Hornblower series - Page 2 EmptyTue 11 Apr 2023, 01:00 by TonnerreDeBrest

» CSF in First Edition!
C S Forester Hornblower series - Page 2 EmptyMon 11 Jul 2022, 12:16 by broughstar

Latest News on the Web Site
Use of Cookies
By using this site, you agree we can set and use cookies. For more details of these cookies and how to disable them, see our cookie policy.

C S Forester Hornblower series

+14
Paul-B
Joolz
conaghan
Maturin y Domanova
TRDG
Big Joe
Scoutmaster60
Nowyouseeme123
DasBoot
reb01501
Alaric Bond
pipester
sjones
Astrodene
18 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

C S Forester Hornblower series - Page 2 Empty Re: C S Forester Hornblower series

Post by Maturin y Domanova Fri 20 May 2011, 01:19

I don't think you've missed any.
Maturin y Domanova
Maturin y Domanova
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Log Entries : 325

Back to top Go down

C S Forester Hornblower series - Page 2 Empty Re: C S Forester Hornblower series

Post by conaghan Fri 20 May 2011, 02:46

conaghan
conaghan
Masters Mate
Masters Mate

Log Entries : 96

Back to top Go down

Post by Scoutmaster60 Sat 21 May 2011, 01:28

Thanks for that link. According to that list I didn't miss any.
Scoutmaster60
Scoutmaster60
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Log Entries : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by Scoutmaster60 Mon 30 May 2011, 01:39

Just finished the Hornblower series today. They were all very enjoyable reads. The funny thing is that I finished the entire Lamdin/Lewrie series about 2 months ago so I couldn't help comparing the two. It was interesting how there were several similar story lines, i.e. both in the Baltic, both escaping from France, both in New Orleans, etc. But, I guess when you are writing about the Napoleonic era there are bound to be only so many plot directions.

I guess my next mission os the read the O'Brian series!
Scoutmaster60
Scoutmaster60
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Log Entries : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by Maturin y Domanova Mon 30 May 2011, 02:21

Yes, that is definitely your mission, should you choose to accept it. Cool Anyway, I hope you find O'Brian enjoyable. In my opinion he is definitely in a class by himself, but obviously that's not everyone's cuppa tea. They're wrong of course, but allowed to have their own opinion. Wink
Maturin y Domanova
Maturin y Domanova
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Log Entries : 325

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Joe Mon 30 May 2011, 09:06

Hornblower has always been special to me. Like the first sweetheart. Smile
Big Joe
Big Joe
Master
Master

Log Entries : 126

Back to top Go down

Post by Joolz Wed 13 Jul 2011, 16:31

Ah, Hornblower ... he introduced me to naval fiction all those years ago as a child in the sixties, though I have absolutely no memory of the circumstances. Probably picked it up at random in the library after school and became hooked. He remained possibly my favourite author for many years until finally stumbling across O'Brian in the 80s. I read those books so often they began to fall apart, but sadly I haven't returned to Hornblower for a long time now. Must rectify that one day ...
Joolz
Joolz
Master
Master

Log Entries : 145

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Joe Mon 18 Jul 2011, 10:58

Last I had read Hornblower was before I embarked on all other series and the various companions of HNF. At the time I don't think I understood all naval and sailing terms as I presume to do now. I certainly am going to read it again, and I might enjoy it even more. But all in good time: I still have to complete Ramage, Kydd and Lewrie series (a few of books from each...)
Big Joe
Big Joe
Master
Master

Log Entries : 126

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul-B Fri 19 Aug 2011, 16:23

I'm really lucky, I found a BBC set of cassettes on Ebay a couple of weeks ago entitled "The Hornblower story by C S Forester", and which I got for £6.00 including postage! They turned out to be from a BBC Radio 4 serial which was aired in 1979-1980, and they are beautifully dramatised.
In case you're interested, here's the blurb from the box cover:

The Hornblower Story by CS Forester
Dramatised by Val Gielgud
Produced by Trevor Hill
Assisted by Christopher Hayton Webb
Music by Johnny Pearson
BBC Radio 4 Serial 1979 - 1980

A dramatisation in twenty 30mins episodes from four of the Hornblower novels.

Book 1: Mr Midshipman Hornblower

with: Nigel Anthony/Ronald Herdman/Nicholas Fry

Episode 1: The Even Chance.....................23/10/1979
Episode 2: The Cargo of Rice...................30/10/1979
Episode 3: The Man Saw God.....................07/11/1979
Episode 4: The Examination for Lieutenant......14/11/1079
Episode 5: The Duchess and the Devil...........20/11/1979

Book 2: Lieutenant Hornblower

Nigel Anthony/Terence Skelton/John Pickles

Episode 1: The Peculiar Captain................27/11/1979
Episode 2: Sealed..............................04/12/1979
Episode 3: The Landing.........................11/12/1979
Episode 4: Court of Inquiry....................19/12/1979
Episode 5: Home and Beauty.....................25/12/1979

Book 3: Hornblower and the Hotspur

Nigel Anthony/Terence Skelton/John Franklyn-Robbins

Episode 1: Hotspur Sails.......................29/01/1980
Episode 2: Hotspur and the Loire...............05/01/1980
Episode 3: The Raid............................12/01/1980
Episode 4: Blockade............................19/01/1980
Episode 5: The Treasure Fleet..................26/01/1980

Book 4: Lord Hornblower

Nigel Anthony/Kate Binchy/James Maxwell/Robert Lindsay

Episode 1: The Mutiny..........................04/03/1980
Episode 2: Plan for Rebellion..................11/03/1980
Episode 3: Counter-Stroke......................18/03/1980
Episode 4: Out of the Past.....................25/03/1980
Episode 5: Story's End.........................01/04/1980

Abbrieviated cast list:

Admiral Lord Hornblower the narrator: Nigel Anthony
Mr Midshipman Hornblower as a youth: Nicholas Fry
Capt Sir Edward Pellow of HMS Indefatigable [pt 2-4]: Ronald Herdman
Lt Masters of HMS Justinian: Anthony Wingate
Mr Midshipman Simpson: Ralph Lawford
Capt Keene of HMS Justinian: Charles Foster
Mr Midshipman Cleveland : Paul Herzberg
Lt Chalk of HMS Goliath: Ian Flintoff
Mr Midshipman Caldwell: Keith Ladd

Directed by Trevor Hill and Christopher Hayton Webb

Music composed by Johnny Pearson

Location recordings by Christopher Hayton Webb and David Fleming-Williams
aboard the ketch I.P.Thorsoe with the assistance of Mariners International.
Technical assistance by members of the Royal Navy Museum, Portsmouth.
SMs David Fleming-Williams, Roger Lucas, Mark Seyler.
BBC Manchester.

I don't have a cassette player, so I gave them to a friend who has converted them into MP3 files, I can now play them on my computer, on my cellphone, and in my car.

I've only listened to the first episode, but I'm delighted, it's really good and very well done.

Ebay can be great for things like that! It's definitely a very rare find.
Paul-B
Paul-B
Master
Master

Log Entries : 136

Back to top Go down

Post by reb01501 Fri 19 Aug 2011, 16:52

Never heard of this! Thanks for pointing it out! cheers

reb01501
Vice-Admiral of the Blue
Vice-Admiral of the Blue

Log Entries : 670

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul-B Fri 19 Aug 2011, 17:02

There's a link to it here, I think it's quite a rare find - like you I'd never heard of it but it's very well done, if a little "dated" in feel.

http://www.suttonelms.org.uk/trevor-hill.html

There's also a mention of it in David Fleming-Williams detail here:

http://www.osd-uk.com/pages/David_Fleming-Williams.html
Paul-B
Paul-B
Master
Master

Log Entries : 136

Back to top Go down

Post by reb01501 Fri 19 Aug 2011, 22:56

I've been listening to it this afternoon and am really impressed! It's so much better than the Maturin -Aubrey plays the bbc did! No problems at all with continuity or settings.

reb01501
Vice-Admiral of the Blue
Vice-Admiral of the Blue

Log Entries : 670

Back to top Go down

Post by 80 Winters Wed 11 Apr 2012, 03:42

I was introduced to Horatio Hornblower in 1951 when the movie with Gregory Peck and Virginia Mayo came out (yep, that old). I also remember that it cost 15 cents for that Saturday matinee, It was almost 40 years later that I read Forester's series the 1st time......but Horatio will always be Gregory Peck with a hacking cough and Lady Barbara will be that "Divine" flaxen haired Virginia Mayo. Oh yea, I remember there was a ship and a bunch of other guys in the movie too.

Actually, I do have that movie on DVD..........and Virginia (Oh, la,la).
80 Winters
80 Winters
Rear-Admiral of the Blue
Rear-Admiral of the Blue

Log Entries : 2081

Back to top Go down

Post by Bataan Thu 28 Jun 2012, 21:03

A battered copy of Commodore Hornblower in my elementary school library caught my eye in sixth grade. I was hooked. I found Kent's Sloop of War on a bookmobile for my second HNF read. Then Captain Horatio Hornblower. I was an addict. I mean, I've haunted school yards trying to interest students in the hopes that they too may become addicted to HNF... (So I was attending school at the time and these were my friends, but it makes a better story as originally worded) I finished all of the Hornblowers by the eighth grade and they hold a very special place in my affections.
Bataan
Bataan
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Log Entries : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by MattWillis Wed 19 Sep 2012, 16:32

reb01501 wrote:I've been listening to it this afternoon and am really impressed! It's so much better than the Maturin -Aubrey plays the bbc did! No problems at all with continuity or settings.

How did you get hold of the recordings Bob?

This is the sort of thing that BBC7 used to broadcast, but since the station changed to Radio 4 Extra last year there is a far greater emphasis on repeats of recent programmes.
MattWillis
MattWillis
Masters Mate
Masters Mate

Log Entries : 96
. : C S Forester Hornblower series - Page 2 Author12

Back to top Go down

C S Forester Hornblower series - Page 2 Empty Looking to Acquire a Matched Set of Hornblower Trade Paperbacks

Post by lkline Fri 04 Apr 2014, 22:51

I recently acquired all 18 of the Ramage books from various sellers on Abe Books. At a reasonable price, I was able to get a nicely matched set of very good quality. The Hornblower series is still my first love. I've read my mass market (and old) paperback series three times, and now, at age 67, I'm ready for a fourth run through, but I would like a new set. The best way seemed to be to acquire the 1998/99 trade paperback published by Little Brown/Back Bay. However, while I could find the first five books, the last six were not available. So I switched to the 1984 Back Bay trade paperback series, but can't find the first five books, just the last six (with a few minor exceptions). Also, the front cover images displayed on Abe Books are inconsistent, so it is not clear if the two series have the same front covers (the second series being a reprint) or have different covers. Can anyone enlighten me? Are the series essentially the same? Did the more recent series only produce the first five books, then stop? Tried to get answers from some of the booksellers, but they were not helpful, so I thought I would turn to a group of devotees of the genre.

lkline
Landsman
Landsman

Log Entries : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by 80 Winters Fri 04 Apr 2014, 23:39

lkline -

Possibly you'll get your answer through a 'process of elimination', so I'll start the process by telling you what I have for 'readers'.

My 'readers are the paperbacks by Little Brown/Back Bay. The 1st three volumes were published in 1998. The next 5 volumes were published in 1999 and the final 3 volumes were published in 2000. The size (height & width) is exactly the same on all volumes and the cover/artwork is of the same style. An interesting note is that the cover material on volume 10 is of a 'slicker' paper stock.

While I haven't read these in years, they are 'my reference library'. I do have 2 sets of Hornblower in the Easton Press edition, but I'm saving them to sell when my granddaughters go to college (they're currently 3 and 5) !

Also, don't discount the ebook and audiobook options. I've got the audiobooks and am currently in my 2nd 'reading' and enjoying them immensely.
80 Winters
80 Winters
Rear-Admiral of the Blue
Rear-Admiral of the Blue

Log Entries : 2081

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2