Historic Naval Fiction Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
If you would like to help keep this site going please

AS THIS IS A FREE FORUM ADVERTS FROM THE SERVICE PROVIDER APPEAR TO THE RIGHT OF THIS NOTICE AND THEY ARE NOT CONNECTED TO THIS SITE.
Services Menu
PURCHASE BOOKS DISCUSSED
If you have heard about a book in this forum and would now like to read it yourself Astrodene has brought together links to purchase them. Links are available for the UK, USA, Canada, Austalia and New Zealand
ASSOCIATED WEB SITE
ARTICLES OF WAR (Forum rules)
FUTURE RELEASES CALENDAR
IMAGES GALLERY
VIDEO CHANNEL
SUBSCRIBE TO NEWSLETTER
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Doctor in the house
Hornblower vs. Jack Aubrey - Page 3 EmptyTue 23 Apr 2024, 01:32 by 80 Winters

» Julian Stockwin discussion
Hornblower vs. Jack Aubrey - Page 3 EmptySat 13 Apr 2024, 15:17 by pauljm

» Not so much Hornblower....
Hornblower vs. Jack Aubrey - Page 3 EmptyWed 03 Apr 2024, 11:21 by broughstar

» Someone Write a Biography of Richard Bolitho!
Hornblower vs. Jack Aubrey - Page 3 EmptyThu 12 Oct 2023, 16:51 by 80 Winters

» What would you like the next book to cover?
Hornblower vs. Jack Aubrey - Page 3 EmptyThu 12 Oct 2023, 08:19 by Port of Olcott

» Douglas Reeman is dying
Hornblower vs. Jack Aubrey - Page 3 EmptyThu 12 Oct 2023, 06:56 by Port of Olcott

» Alexander Kent general discussion.
Hornblower vs. Jack Aubrey - Page 3 EmptyThu 05 Oct 2023, 22:51 by jkeffer

» A Horatio Hornblower Short Story as Written by ChatGPT
Hornblower vs. Jack Aubrey - Page 3 EmptyTue 11 Apr 2023, 01:00 by TonnerreDeBrest

» CSF in First Edition!
Hornblower vs. Jack Aubrey - Page 3 EmptyMon 11 Jul 2022, 12:16 by broughstar

Latest News on the Web Site
Use of Cookies
By using this site, you agree we can set and use cookies. For more details of these cookies and how to disable them, see our cookie policy.

Hornblower vs. Jack Aubrey

+22
FictionReader
MattWillis
queen katherine
kujakupoet
80 Winters
Big Joe
Joolz
malchya
Maturin y Domanova
S.K. Keogh
Joefirefighter
Sieglinde
Alaric Bond
pipester
DasBoot
Medusa
raperm
johnk
conaghan
reb01501
Astrodene
Ziggy
26 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Hornblower vs. Jack Aubrey - Page 3 Empty Re: Hornblower vs. Jack Aubrey

Post by reb01501 Sat 23 Nov 2013, 15:31

Gaps in POB's knowledge? Can you please provide an example or two?

reb01501
Vice-Admiral of the Blue
Vice-Admiral of the Blue

Log Entries : 670

Back to top Go down

Post by pauljm Sat 23 Nov 2013, 20:50

Rodger cites an episode in which Aubrey complains that the Navy Board has not supplied enough gunpowder to carry out gun-drill, when in fact (as any captain would know), it was the Ordnance Board and not the Navy Board that was responsible for the allocation of gunpowder.

He also notes: "O'Brian's view of the Admiralty and of naval intelligence is vague and not altogether convincing; his highly-placed traitors have no counterpart in reality." In a footnote Rodger points out that O'Brian did not have the benefit of Sparrow's authoritative book on the Secret Service, which only appeared in 1999.

In summary, Rodger feels that O'Brian is a great novelist, but that "...O'Brian's naval world, so complete and satisfying in itself, is not the whole world of the real Navy."

These seem to me fair comments (rather than criticisms) in an article which clearly demonstrates how effectively O'Brian used history in his novels.
pauljm
pauljm
Masters Mate
Masters Mate

Log Entries : 81

Back to top Go down

Post by reb01501 Sun 24 Nov 2013, 13:54

Was the Ordinance Board subordinate to the Navy Board? As in, the Navy Board set the rules and the Ordinance Board carried them out?

reb01501
Vice-Admiral of the Blue
Vice-Admiral of the Blue

Back to top Go down

Post by pauljm Mon 25 Nov 2013, 20:34

No, it wasn't that simple. The Ordnance Board was an entirely separate organization, despite having responsibilities which would seem to overlap with those of the Navy Board. In fact the Ordnance Board was probably more powerful, since its head (the Master General of the Ordnance) sat as a cabinet member most of the time, which the head of the Navy Board did not.

If you are interested in how the Royal Navy was supplied, and the problems caused by the proliferation of quasi-independent boards, a good recent title out check out is "The Transformation of British Naval Strategy: Seapower and Supply in Northern Europe 1808-1812" by James Davey (Woodbridge, 2012). This goes into extensive detail about the process of supplying the Baltic Fleet over the last years of the Napoleonic War.
pauljm
pauljm
Masters Mate
Masters Mate

Back to top Go down

Post by reb01501 Tue 26 Nov 2013, 11:39

Thanks, I will look it up.

reb01501
Vice-Admiral of the Blue
Vice-Admiral of the Blue

Back to top Go down

Post by pauljm Sun 26 Jan 2014, 19:38

Here is yet another obscure piece of literary criticism, this time dealing with the relationship between Forester's hero and O'Brian's. The author looks at the three key names in writing fiction about the Royal Navy in the age of sail (Marryat, Forester and O'Brian), and not surprisingly, finds that in each case the personality and attitudes of the fictional sailor reflect those of the reader (and society at large) at the time when the novel was published. The author does a nice job of defining the key qualities that each hero embodies, and by and large avoids the use of academic jargon that often makes critical pieces frustrating to read. Don't be put off by the title, which makes it sound as if the article is part of a gender-studies course!

'Cabin'd Yet Unconfined: Heroic Masculinity in English Seafaring Novels' by Susan Bassnett: in Fictions of the Sea - Critical Perspectives on the Ocean in British Literature and Culture; ed by Bernhard Klein, Ashgate, 2002

I
pauljm
pauljm
Masters Mate
Masters Mate

Back to top Go down

Post by clearwater Mon 27 Jan 2014, 02:07

Indeed, the title brings to mind a rancid clutch of hairy-lipped feminazis muttering ""not appropriate"' as they slurp their Latte's Smile
I'll hunt it down and read it, even so.
I find far more similarity in the friendship of Captain Rennie and Lt. Hayter in Peter Smally's HMS Expedient series, pauljim, to that of O'Brian's Aubrey and Maturin.
The main thing that sets the Hornblower and Aubrey/Maturny series apart I feel is O'Brian's wealth of information regarding the food and music of the period, both of them described in loving detail.

clearwater
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Log Entries : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by pauljm Mon 27 Jan 2014, 15:39

I don't quite understand what you are getting at with your comment comparing the friendships between the protagonists in Smalley's series to those in O'Brian's. Just to be clear, the piece by Bassnett doesn't deal with the friendship of Aubrey and Maturin (or Hornblower and Bush for that matter). She is solely interested in how the personalities and actions of the individual heroes (Jack Easy, Hornblower, Aubrey) reflect the zeitgeist of the time in which they were written.
pauljm
pauljm
Masters Mate
Masters Mate

Back to top Go down

Post by Kade1301 Sat 19 Jul 2014, 17:41

glen55 wrote:Finally, whatever Roddenberry says, I see a lot of Aubrey in Captain Kirk, and little to no Hornblower.

But O'Brian's books were written after Star Trek was aired (and Kirk has the First Lieutenant and the surgeon - and the girls - life's not fair...)

Somebody has wondered, I believe on page 1 of this thread, whether O'Brian might have started by creating Maturin and made an Aubrey to fit. Whereas I obviously know nothing about O'Brian's way of writing, I have just learnt that Maturin was perfectly typical of a surgeon - in the French Navy! (In the other books I've read so far the British surgeon seems to be a drunkard only interested in getting limbs off as quickly as possible.)

But the Naval History Museum in Rochefort writes about naval surgeons (I'll translate in the nex paragraph):

"Les officiers de santé, comme on les appelle à partir du 19e siècle, sont plus que des médecins, pharmaciens ou chirurgiens. Leur formation, comme leur pratique, repose sur une approche généraliste de la science. Au-delà de leur connaissances médicales, ils maitrisent l'ensemble de disciplines : botanique, géologie, zoologie, ethnologie. A bord, il considèrent le monde avec les outils de la raison et décrivent, dessinent et rapportent des échantillons d'espèces nouvelles."

Translation: Health officers, as they were called from the 19th century onwards, are more than doctors, pharmacists or surgeons. Their training and their practice are based on science in general. In addition to their medical knowledge they master all disciplines : botany, geology, zoology, ethnology. On board they consider the world from a rational point of view and describe and draw new species and bring back samples of them.

Back to the original post: I too read O'Brian soon after Forester and was struck by the almost too obvious/artificial differences between Hornblower and Aubrey. On the other hand - I really don't need another Hornblower! As for Aubrey's love of music: When I saw the film (before reading the book), and wondered about a cello and a violin - both rather sensitive, valuable instruments, the former cumbersome as well, it struck me that way back then, when you wanted to hear music, in many cases you just had to make it (or find somebody to do it for you) - no recordings! For these sudden, lightbulb-switched-on insights into the past (the air above Gibraltar being black with birds, or the sea around the ship being filled with whales are other examples) I love O'Brian. Now if the man could just write about sea battles!

(Almost) Last but not least Aubrey is neither ugly nor bald - he has long yellow hair (which is mentioned about every time he goes swimming) and Maturin speculates about the handsome couple Jack and Sophie probably producing perfectly ordinary-looking children...

Somebody above mentioned that they would have liked to read about Jack's time before the mast - so would I! Guess I'll just have to find a book written from the point of view of an ordinary seaman... (any recommendations?)

Kade1301
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Log Entries : 52

Back to top Go down

Post by Astrodene Sat 19 Jul 2014, 21:33

Kade1301 wrote:(any recommendations?)
That would take us off topic. Feel free to start a new topic in "The Wardroom" where they can be listed & discussed

Astrodene
Astrodene
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Log Entries : 2866

http://www.historicnavalfiction.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3