Historic Naval Fiction Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
If you would like to help keep this site going please

AS THIS IS A FREE FORUM ADVERTS FROM THE SERVICE PROVIDER APPEAR TO THE RIGHT OF THIS NOTICE AND THEY ARE NOT CONNECTED TO THIS SITE.
Services Menu
PURCHASE BOOKS DISCUSSED
If you have heard about a book in this forum and would now like to read it yourself Astrodene has brought together links to purchase them. Links are available for the UK, USA, Canada, Austalia and New Zealand
ASSOCIATED WEB SITE
ARTICLES OF WAR (Forum rules)
FUTURE RELEASES CALENDAR
IMAGES GALLERY
VIDEO CHANNEL
SUBSCRIBE TO NEWSLETTER
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Doctor in the house
Royal Marines in O'Brian's books EmptyWed 19 Jun 2024, 04:26 by TonnerreDeBrest

» Julian Stockwin discussion
Royal Marines in O'Brian's books EmptySat 13 Apr 2024, 15:17 by pauljm

» Not so much Hornblower....
Royal Marines in O'Brian's books EmptyWed 03 Apr 2024, 11:21 by broughstar

» Someone Write a Biography of Richard Bolitho!
Royal Marines in O'Brian's books EmptyThu 12 Oct 2023, 16:51 by 80 Winters

» What would you like the next book to cover?
Royal Marines in O'Brian's books EmptyThu 12 Oct 2023, 08:19 by Port of Olcott

» Douglas Reeman is dying
Royal Marines in O'Brian's books EmptyThu 12 Oct 2023, 06:56 by Port of Olcott

» Alexander Kent general discussion.
Royal Marines in O'Brian's books EmptyThu 05 Oct 2023, 22:51 by jkeffer

» A Horatio Hornblower Short Story as Written by ChatGPT
Royal Marines in O'Brian's books EmptyTue 11 Apr 2023, 01:00 by TonnerreDeBrest

» CSF in First Edition!
Royal Marines in O'Brian's books EmptyMon 11 Jul 2022, 12:16 by broughstar

Latest News on the Web Site
Use of Cookies
By using this site, you agree we can set and use cookies. For more details of these cookies and how to disable them, see our cookie policy.

Royal Marines in O'Brian's books

3 posters

Go down

Royal Marines in O'Brian's books Empty Royal Marines in O'Brian's books

Post by pauljm Sun 28 Aug 2016, 15:30

Occasionally items relating to historic naval fiction get published in academic journals, and I pass these on when I come across them in the course of my own (amateur) research.

Donald F. Bittner published a piece titled "Captain Aubrey and Dr. Maturin's Forgotten Shipmates: Patrick O'Brian's Portrayal of the Royal Marines in the Aubrey-Maturin Novels" in the journal Consortium on Revolutionary Europe:Selected Papers, 2000. In it the author looks at O'Brian's portrayal of marines across the novel cycle, and tries to identify any historical equivalents to the characters and events that O'Brian wrote about.

As the title suggests, he finds that marines are far less extensively portrayed than naval officers (or even individual seamen) in the novels, for the most part appearing in the background. However a few individuals do get more fully developed, including Lieutenant James Macdonald in Post Captain, and Captain Hobden in The Hundred Days. Bittner outlines the role of both these characters, and discusses some real-life analogies, but does not venture an opinion about whether O'Brian was aware of these historical individuals when he created his own characters. (Personally, I would guess not.) He also looks more generally at the circumstances of Royal Marine officers in terms of background and promotion prospects, and compares the reality with how they are depicted in O'Brian's novels. Overall the article is an interesting look at a minor element in the Aubrey-Maturin novels, and worth digging up if you are so inclined.
pauljm
pauljm
Masters Mate
Masters Mate

Log Entries : 82

Back to top Go down

Royal Marines in O'Brian's books Empty Re: Royal Marines in O'Brian's books

Post by 80 Winters Sun 28 Aug 2016, 17:25

I would imagine there's one Royal Marine that Dr. Maturin won't forget.......Capt. Howard.
80 Winters
80 Winters
Rear-Admiral of the Blue
Rear-Admiral of the Blue

Log Entries : 2081

Back to top Go down

Post by pauljm Mon 29 Aug 2016, 17:42

I think you may be referring to Captain Hobden in "The Hundred Days" whose dog Naseby ate a severed hand Maturin had preserved, thus nearly precipitating a duel. Bittner refers to this story, and even outlines a real-life equivalent, involving a duel between two elderly RM officers over the activities of a dog named Bingo (but sadly no severed hand)!

The only Captain Howard RM in the novel cycle (according to the Patrick O'Brian Muster Book) is the memorably named John Condom Howard, who in Desolation Island is murdered just as he is about to play the flute in the wardroom.
pauljm
pauljm
Masters Mate
Masters Mate

Back to top Go down

Post by 80 Winters Tue 30 Aug 2016, 18:04

I was referring to the RM Capt. Howard aboard HMS Surprise who accidently shot Stephen Maturin while attempting to shoot an Albatross.

As an aside, while brief, this is an interesting summation of Royal Marine participation during this time:

http://www.thedearsurprise.com/the-royal-marines-in-aubreys-royal-navy/
80 Winters
80 Winters
Rear-Admiral of the Blue
Rear-Admiral of the Blue

Log Entries : 2081

Back to top Go down

Post by pauljm Fri 02 Sep 2016, 15:58

I had forgotten about this reference, and for some reason Bittner does not mention it. However this Capt. Howard, RM is mentioned (very briefly) in the Patrick O'Brian Muster Book (my bible in these matters), but not in connection with the unfortunate albatross episode.
pauljm
pauljm
Masters Mate
Masters Mate

Back to top Go down

Post by broughstar Fri 02 Sep 2016, 17:00

also in the film master & commander the other side of the world. were maturin gets shot by the marine. and I would say that its a big story line in the film.
broughstar
broughstar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Log Entries : 274

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down