Historic Naval Fiction Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
If you would like to help keep this site going please

AS THIS IS A FREE FORUM ADVERTS FROM THE SERVICE PROVIDER APPEAR TO THE RIGHT OF THIS NOTICE AND THEY ARE NOT CONNECTED TO THIS SITE.
Services Menu
PURCHASE BOOKS DISCUSSED
If you have heard about a book in this forum and would now like to read it yourself Astrodene has brought together links to purchase them. Links are available for the UK, USA, Canada, Austalia and New Zealand
ASSOCIATED WEB SITE
ARTICLES OF WAR (Forum rules)
FUTURE RELEASES CALENDAR
IMAGES GALLERY
VIDEO CHANNEL
SUBSCRIBE TO NEWSLETTER
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Doctor in the house
Alexander Kent general discussion. EmptyTue 23 Apr 2024, 01:32 by 80 Winters

» Julian Stockwin discussion
Alexander Kent general discussion. EmptySat 13 Apr 2024, 15:17 by pauljm

» Not so much Hornblower....
Alexander Kent general discussion. EmptyWed 03 Apr 2024, 11:21 by broughstar

» Someone Write a Biography of Richard Bolitho!
Alexander Kent general discussion. EmptyThu 12 Oct 2023, 16:51 by 80 Winters

» What would you like the next book to cover?
Alexander Kent general discussion. EmptyThu 12 Oct 2023, 08:19 by Port of Olcott

» Douglas Reeman is dying
Alexander Kent general discussion. EmptyThu 12 Oct 2023, 06:56 by Port of Olcott

» Alexander Kent general discussion.
Alexander Kent general discussion. EmptyThu 05 Oct 2023, 22:51 by jkeffer

» A Horatio Hornblower Short Story as Written by ChatGPT
Alexander Kent general discussion. EmptyTue 11 Apr 2023, 01:00 by TonnerreDeBrest

» CSF in First Edition!
Alexander Kent general discussion. EmptyMon 11 Jul 2022, 12:16 by broughstar

Latest News on the Web Site
Use of Cookies
By using this site, you agree we can set and use cookies. For more details of these cookies and how to disable them, see our cookie policy.

Alexander Kent general discussion.

+6
andrewstep
kramaj
reb01501
Alaric Bond
Dale Marisa
Astrodene
10 posters

Go down

Alexander Kent general discussion. Empty Alexander Kent general discussion.

Post by Astrodene Thu 21 Aug 2008, 18:52

Having been a Hornblower fan for years and wanting more this series filled a need. Over the years I have eagerly awaited the next book and having read it gone back to the start and read the series again. It's a shame the author published a timeline which forced him to kill Richard Bolitho off but at least he has started to fill in some of the gaps in his career with 'Band of Brothers'

Last edited by Astrodene on Sun 23 Apr 2017, 12:23; edited 1 time in total

Astrodene
Astrodene
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Log Entries : 2866

http://www.historicnavalfiction.com

Back to top Go down

Alexander Kent general discussion. Empty Re: Alexander Kent general discussion.

Post by Dale Marisa Tue 07 Jul 2009, 21:08

I have acquired "Sloop of War" at a library sell-off sale (ah, the dilemma. Take the book out and keep it on the shelf for others to enjoy, or let it languish and snap it up when it is sold off for non-circulation?) I tend, however, to read series books in chronological order (which is not always the order in which they were originally published, as you know).

Would you recommend that I shelve this book, therefore, until I've had a chance to read/acquire the previous four books? (I gather that the original first three are now published together as "Richard Bolitho, Midshipman", and that after that Stand Into Danger and Gallant Company before Sloop of War.)
Dale Marisa
Dale Marisa
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Log Entries : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by Alaric Bond Wed 08 Jul 2009, 09:10

Alexander Kent is one I would tend to read in order; he relies quite a bit on character and story history, and prior knowledge, certainly as far as later books are concerned, is handy. Saying that, I read and enjoyed Sloop of War when I found a copy in a holiday flat; it was the first Kent I read; taking it out of order didn't do me any harm! What do other members think?

By the way, I tend to get most of my books second-hand - they're cheaper, and usually hardback!

Alaric Bond
Vice-Admiral of the White

Log Entries : 646
. : Alexander Kent general discussion. Author12

http://www.alaricbond.com

Back to top Go down

Post by reb01501 Wed 08 Jul 2009, 14:12

I hate reading a series out of chronological order, I'm somewhat obsessive about it. It's been a while since I finished the Bolitho series, but I do seem to recall enough to confirm Borelpeff's opinion - none of the books could really be read as stand-alone.

reb01501
Vice-Admiral of the Blue
Vice-Admiral of the Blue

Log Entries : 670

Back to top Go down

Post by Dale Marisa Thu 16 Jul 2009, 04:23

Well, I just finished Stand Into Danger, and found it a great read! Much less formal and technical than O'Brian - the language more modern, the action very fast-paced. (I love O'Brian. This is a comparison that does honour to both series.)

Got it from the library. Time to go searching for a (secondhand) copy of my own.
Dale Marisa
Dale Marisa
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Back to top Go down

Post by Alaric Bond Thu 16 Jul 2009, 08:41

Yes, Kent is down to earth whereas POB can be a little flowery; I heard him described once as "Jane Austen with salt water". (None the worst for that, it is the kind of backhanded compliment that writers dream of, and you certainly can sink into his work and let the language flow over you.)

Alaric Bond

Back to top Go down

Alexander Kent general discussion. Empty Sloop of War

Post by kramaj Wed 02 Jun 2010, 06:32

Sloop of War was my first Bolitho story some 37 years ago and is a good place to start as it introduces RB as a captain.

kramaj
Ordinary Seaman
Ordinary Seaman

Log Entries : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Astrodene Wed 02 Jun 2010, 09:32

I'm another one that likes to read in chronological order, but 'Sloop of War' is certainly one of the better books in the series.

Astrodene
Astrodene
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Back to top Go down

Post by andrewstep Wed 01 Sep 2010, 00:09

I agree that Sloop Of War is agood book, but I certainly believe that Kent should be read in sequence. The character developement that continues from book to book would be lost if started part wy through. Examples would be, Marc Stockdale, John Allday and Thomas Herrick. This is especially important throught the first eight books, not including Band Of Brothers. Just to put it out there, does anyone know of another series that puts as much into character developement through the books and includes promotions through the ranks which I always find worth waiting for.

andrewstep
Leading Seaman
Leading Seaman

Log Entries : 20

Back to top Go down

Post by Astrodene Wed 01 Sep 2010, 00:48

andrewstep wrote:Just to put it out there, does anyone know of another series that puts as much into character developement through the books and includes promotions through the ranks which I always find worth waiting for.
The answer would have to be yes, particularly some of the newer authors. The promotion aspect might not be so prominent yet but then they are not up to 30 books! The characterisations are certainly strong though. Alaric Bond, Julian Stockwin and S. Thomas Russell are just the ones that spring immediately to mind. I'll leave you to explore them elsewhere (if you have not already read them) and perhaps start a comparison discussion thread in the wardroom to avoid this topic drifting of onto different authors

Astrodene
Astrodene
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Back to top Go down

Post by andrewstep Wed 01 Sep 2010, 01:52

Perfect. Thanks for the suggestions

andrewstep
Leading Seaman
Leading Seaman

Log Entries : 20

Back to top Go down

Post by jpkoch Fri 21 Apr 2017, 18:15

Newby here. I think I read my first Bolitho novel some 35 years ago while I was stationed in Oklahoma. It was A Passage to Mutiny. Since then I read most of the series, but stopped before Richard Bolitho met his end.

Besides A Passage to Mutiny, I think my other favorite Bolitho tale was Sloop of War. As a none sailor, it took my awhile to figure out what the sailing lingo. Otherwise, I really appreciated Kent's attention to detail. My only critique of the series is that the plots became rather formulaic, (at least one land action, corrupt or incompetent superiors, the death of at least one close friend), and in his later books the romance and introspection began to detract. But, as a whole, the series was very enjoyable

jpkoch
Landsman
Landsman

Log Entries : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by NewGolconda Thu 18 May 2017, 07:50

Alexander Kent was my introduction to Naval Fiction, indeed naval history itslef, back in my early days of high school. His books filled many an interesting hour for me, especially in those days.

I would agree that the strength of the novels is not the period nautical terminology. Indeed I sometimes suspect that some of the dinner party conversation in POB books is having a subtle dig at some of the Bolitho books phrasing. PS for anyone wondering how on earth POB did period natical terminology and seamanship so well, look no further than a recently reprinted book by Darcy Lever called "The Young Sea Officers Sheet Anchor", some passages, especially raising the anchor at Lisbon, are very close indeed. My other detraction would echo the issues with the forulaic plots, I would add being cast adrift in a small boat and nearly dying as another element. Bolitho must have had a nervous tick every time he boarded a boat by the end.

But anyway, I enjoyed these books and also the Douglas Reeman books, a real giant, but not perhaps a master, of the Genre.

NewGolconda
Ordinary Seaman
Ordinary Seaman

Log Entries : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Port of Olcott Wed 12 Jan 2022, 06:37

Hello all!
This will be my first post here, and I see that its been a while since others have posted. I hope the forum notifies you all, that a newbie is in the room, and we can get active here!
I always liked C.S. Forrester, Patrick O'Brien, I find too wordy for my liking, although I did like the movie, Master and Commander. I don't know how close it went to any of the books, but I liked the plot and characters. I am not too fond of other nautical fiction authors, but Mr Reeman's books got me interested in biographies, and non fiction about the Napoleanic Wars.
I live in New York, near Niagara Falls, and I have a 5 year old Standard F1 Black Golden Doodle, who is probably smarter than I am! I work for General Motors, in a factory that produces engines for Corvettes, Silveradoes, and Sierra pick up trucks. I'm active in the Union of Auto Workers, and I hope to retire in a few years. Sooner if I can remember to buy lottery tickets when the pot gets up there!

Port of Olcott
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Back to top Go down

Post by Alaric Bond Wed 12 Jan 2022, 07:28

From memory the film of Master and Commander used episodes from several books. (I've now watched it three times and see more in it on each viewing.)

As an aside, my best dog was an Alsatian lab cross - weighed eight stone and as loyal and loving as anyone could wish. My wife was the first girlfriend she accepted, she chased a previous one downstairs and another complained that, whenever I left the room, my dog pulled faces at her... She passed on 13th April 1988, but her picture is still on my wall and always will be.

Welcome to the forum, Port of Olcott.

Alaric Bond

Port of Olcott likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jkeffer Thu 05 Oct 2023, 22:51

I found Kent after reading all the Hornblower books, and I was taken with the series. It was as hard to put down as any of Forrester's works! I learned a lot about writing from reading after these men!
jkeffer
jkeffer
Master
Master

Log Entries : 135

Alaric Bond and Port of Olcott like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down