Historic Naval Fiction Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
If you would like to help keep this site going please

AS THIS IS A FREE FORUM ADVERTS FROM THE SERVICE PROVIDER APPEAR TO THE RIGHT OF THIS NOTICE AND THEY ARE NOT CONNECTED TO THIS SITE.
Services Menu
PURCHASE BOOKS DISCUSSED
If you have heard about a book in this forum and would now like to read it yourself Astrodene has brought together links to purchase them. Links are available for the UK, USA, Canada, Austalia and New Zealand
ASSOCIATED WEB SITE
ARTICLES OF WAR (Forum rules)
FUTURE RELEASES CALENDAR
IMAGES GALLERY
VIDEO CHANNEL
SUBSCRIBE TO NEWSLETTER
Similar topics
    Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
    » Doctor in the house
    The Disastrous Voyage of the Santa Margarita EmptyWed 19 Jun 2024, 04:26 by TonnerreDeBrest

» Julian Stockwin discussion
    The Disastrous Voyage of the Santa Margarita EmptySat 13 Apr 2024, 15:17 by pauljm

» Not so much Hornblower....
    The Disastrous Voyage of the Santa Margarita EmptyWed 03 Apr 2024, 11:21 by broughstar

» Someone Write a Biography of Richard Bolitho!
    The Disastrous Voyage of the Santa Margarita EmptyThu 12 Oct 2023, 16:51 by 80 Winters

» What would you like the next book to cover?
    The Disastrous Voyage of the Santa Margarita EmptyThu 12 Oct 2023, 08:19 by Port of Olcott

» Douglas Reeman is dying
    The Disastrous Voyage of the Santa Margarita EmptyThu 12 Oct 2023, 06:56 by Port of Olcott

» Alexander Kent general discussion.
    The Disastrous Voyage of the Santa Margarita EmptyThu 05 Oct 2023, 22:51 by jkeffer

» A Horatio Hornblower Short Story as Written by ChatGPT
    The Disastrous Voyage of the Santa Margarita EmptyTue 11 Apr 2023, 01:00 by TonnerreDeBrest

» CSF in First Edition!
    The Disastrous Voyage of the Santa Margarita EmptyMon 11 Jul 2022, 12:16 by broughstar

Latest News on the Web Site
    Use of Cookies
    By using this site, you agree we can set and use cookies. For more details of these cookies and how to disable them, see our cookie policy.

The Disastrous Voyage of the Santa Margarita

+2
    reb01501
    Astrodene
    6 posters

Go down

The Disastrous Voyage of the Santa Margarita Empty The Disastrous Voyage of the Santa Margarita

Post by Astrodene Thu 29 Oct 2009, 11:55

Must have missed this new novel when it came out at the end of last year.

It's based on the factual journey of a Galleon wrecked near the phillipines. I've added it to the website here
    Astrodene
    Astrodene
    Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral of the Fleet

Log Entries : 2866

http://www.historicnavalfiction.com

Back to top Go down

The Disastrous Voyage of the Santa Margarita Empty Re: The Disastrous Voyage of the Santa Margarita

Post by reb01501 Thu 29 Oct 2009, 12:35

bounce Is it a new Drinkwater? I thought he had ended that series ...
    reb01501
    reb01501
    Vice-Admiral of the Blue
    Vice-Admiral of the Blue

Log Entries : 670

Back to top Go down

The Disastrous Voyage of the Santa Margarita Empty Re: The Disastrous Voyage of the Santa Margarita

Post by Astrodene Thu 29 Oct 2009, 12:44

No it seems to be a stand alone book. It's classed as fiction but from the reviews it seems to be closely woven into the factual history of the voyage set in 1601.

I'm surprised it was not mentioned in the interview he did with McBooks for the last quarterdeck
    Astrodene
    Astrodene
    Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral of the Fleet

Log Entries : 2866

http://www.historicnavalfiction.com

Back to top Go down

Post by pipester Tue 10 Nov 2009, 02:11

This is one of the grimmest (and, yes, boring) sea stories I have ever read. A Galleon leaves Manila bound for Panama and encounters a seemingly endless series of typhoons. The despotic soldiers in command of the ship clash with the sailing masters and crew. The perfervid priests/monks/nuns wail ceaseless prayers and the pampered passengers stir up bad feelings on every side. Potentially interesting back stories remain underdeveloped. There are long, repeated discussions about God's will and man's initiative. Are the serial disasters punishment for this or that person's sins? Misery and death mount to unimaginable heights and the resolution (such as it is) is unsatisfactory -- I suppose that's Woodman's point, but it doesn't make for an enjoyable read.

Last edited by pipester on Tue 10 Nov 2009, 02:13; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typos)
    pipester
    pipester
    Third Lieutenant
    Third Lieutenant

Log Entries : 214

http://home.mindspring.com/~pipe.smokin.guy/

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul-B Tue 11 Oct 2011, 09:08

I hope it's better than pipester seems to think - I've just acquired this as an audiobook, read by Terry Wale and am looking forward to listening to it.
    Paul-B
    Paul-B
    Master
    Master

Log Entries : 136

Back to top Go down

Post by Joolz Tue 11 Oct 2011, 12:24

we await your report Smile
    Joolz
    Joolz
    Master
    Master

Log Entries : 145

Back to top Go down

Post by Joolz Sat 05 May 2012, 09:57

Paul-B wrote:I hope it's better than pipester seems to think
    No, it isn't! I have at last got around to reading it and agree with Pipester's assessment. It is unremitting doom, gloom, turmoil and conflict with few likeable characters. And, you just know from an early stage that it will have a nasty ending. Woodman never fails to write well, but this was not an enjoyable read for me. It's based on a real wreck, but it's unclear how much of the novel is actually true.
    Joolz
    Joolz
    Master
    Master

Log Entries : 145

Back to top Go down

Post by 80 Winters Sun 03 Jun 2012, 19:33

Hey, what the heck. I'm a glutton for punishment (and I've already professed that Richard Woodman is my favorite author), so I'm making this the next "take" out of the stack. I've done a bit of "historical research" and found there seem to be more than one Santa Margarita involved in sea disasters (or maybe not). "I shall return"......
    80 Winters
    80 Winters
    Rear-Admiral of the Blue
    Rear-Admiral of the Blue

Log Entries : 2081

Back to top Go down

Post by 80 Winters Mon 04 Jun 2012, 06:42

Time to put this one down for today, but at the 1/3 point I can say that, while it's not all "singing and dancing" at the fo'c'sle, it is a story to be told and Richard Woodman, I believe, tells them as good as any.

More to come.
    80 Winters
    80 Winters
    Rear-Admiral of the Blue
    Rear-Admiral of the Blue

Back to top Go down

Post by 80 Winters Tue 05 Jun 2012, 18:12

Finished this one "late" last night. It wasn't that "I couldn't put it down", but more that I needed to get to the end, so that I could sleep undisturbed.

While I have nothing to counter the reviews by Joolz or Pipester above, and I agree that Woodman's easily recognizable style and readability are there from start to finish, I do search for the author's "message". Is it as Pipester believes? If so, then what I searched for was not the message, but the "root cause(s)" of the primary conflict on board this ill fated voyage.

The ceaseless confrontation, violence and tragic consequences, while not boring to me, did appear to be "more of the same" filling or padding as I guess there wasn't much that was different happening during the "fortnight" times that are passed over with little or no comment.

It all finally comes together in the last chapters and "if you're still with it" you too feel like one of the "survivors". That being said, the aftermath is not one that you would predict.

While this is not a "warm and comfortable" read, it is "pure Woodman" and shows his expansive capability for writing.

It's in my library.
    80 Winters
    80 Winters
    Rear-Admiral of the Blue
    Rear-Admiral of the Blue

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down