Historic Naval Fiction Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
If you would like to help keep this site going please

AS THIS IS A FREE FORUM ADVERTS FROM THE SERVICE PROVIDER APPEAR TO THE RIGHT OF THIS NOTICE AND THEY ARE NOT CONNECTED TO THIS SITE.
Services Menu
PURCHASE BOOKS DISCUSSED
If you have heard about a book in this forum and would now like to read it yourself Astrodene has brought together links to purchase them. Links are available for the UK, USA, Canada, Austalia and New Zealand
ASSOCIATED WEB SITE
ARTICLES OF WAR (Forum rules)
FUTURE RELEASES CALENDAR
IMAGES GALLERY
VIDEO CHANNEL
SUBSCRIBE TO NEWSLETTER
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Doctor in the house
Ramage (Book 1 of the Ramage series) EmptyWed 19 Jun 2024, 04:26 by TonnerreDeBrest

» Julian Stockwin discussion
Ramage (Book 1 of the Ramage series) EmptySat 13 Apr 2024, 15:17 by pauljm

» Not so much Hornblower....
Ramage (Book 1 of the Ramage series) EmptyWed 03 Apr 2024, 11:21 by broughstar

» Someone Write a Biography of Richard Bolitho!
Ramage (Book 1 of the Ramage series) EmptyThu 12 Oct 2023, 16:51 by 80 Winters

» What would you like the next book to cover?
Ramage (Book 1 of the Ramage series) EmptyThu 12 Oct 2023, 08:19 by Port of Olcott

» Douglas Reeman is dying
Ramage (Book 1 of the Ramage series) EmptyThu 12 Oct 2023, 06:56 by Port of Olcott

» Alexander Kent general discussion.
Ramage (Book 1 of the Ramage series) EmptyThu 05 Oct 2023, 22:51 by jkeffer

» A Horatio Hornblower Short Story as Written by ChatGPT
Ramage (Book 1 of the Ramage series) EmptyTue 11 Apr 2023, 01:00 by TonnerreDeBrest

» CSF in First Edition!
Ramage (Book 1 of the Ramage series) EmptyMon 11 Jul 2022, 12:16 by broughstar

Latest News on the Web Site
Use of Cookies
By using this site, you agree we can set and use cookies. For more details of these cookies and how to disable them, see our cookie policy.

Ramage (Book 1 of the Ramage series)

4 posters

Go down

Ramage (Book 1 of the Ramage series) Empty Ramage (Book 1 of the Ramage series)

Post by TRDG Fri 26 Aug 2011, 12:23

Fell in love with the great cover art of these books first thing!!!

From the EDIT Para phrase here

Nicholas Ramage, a Peer of the realm was the last officer to take over an ill fated ship. Along with a small boat and a few remaining crew members, Ramage sets out to Italian shores to finish the mission their (now former...GULP) ships Captain set out to do in the first place.
A meeeting involved with this mission just may change his life, but a coart marshall may just end his very short Royal Navy career!!!

From the first page it really grabbed me, and held onto me through the end of the book, read it in one sitting, bit groggy for work when I put it down and had to go there.LOL

Cheers, the usual spoiler tags if posting about key plot points but general discussion and like or dislike are just fine.

Link to the site review

http://www.historicnavalfiction.com/index.php/book-title-index/r/774

Tom

Last edited by TRDG on Sat 27 Aug 2011, 16:26; edited 7 times in total
TRDG
TRDG
Commander
Commander

Log Entries : 402

Back to top Go down

Ramage (Book 1 of the Ramage series) Empty Re: Ramage (Book 1 of the Ramage series)

Post by reb01501 Fri 26 Aug 2011, 12:56

It's been a few years but ...
This was the second series I attempted after finishing Aubrey-Maturin and Hornblower (Bolitho was the first, I believe), so while it was somewhat of a let-down, I had read the reviews so I was expecting it to be. I did read it straight through and while having some quibbles that have previously been mentioned by myself and others, the writing was fine and I was sufficiently intrigued to carry on to the next book.

I do remember comparing it to some of the Heinlein juveniles, with the perfect, invincible heroes, etc.
reb01501
reb01501
Vice-Admiral of the Blue
Vice-Admiral of the Blue

Log Entries : 670

Back to top Go down

Ramage (Book 1 of the Ramage series) Empty Re: Ramage (Book 1 of the Ramage series)

Post by malchya Fri 26 Aug 2011, 13:34

I was working part time as a security officer to supplement my income and saw this on the shelf. Took it to work with me that evening and read it by flashlight as a hard rain roared and hissed on the roof of my old Chrysler. It passed six hours or so pleasantly. I didn't love it and I didn't hate it. It had promise, I thought, and was - overall - a fun and rather swashbuckling romp. It felt more like something written by Anthony Hope of Prisoner of Zenda fame than by, say, C S Forester, but it was quite entertaining. And I did buy the next in the series as soon as it hit the shelves. And the next...and the next...
malchya
malchya
Masters Mate
Masters Mate

Log Entries : 88

Back to top Go down

Post by TRDG Sat 27 Aug 2011, 16:31

Thanks for the posts, maybe I was just to "new" to these type of books (subject) but it was different than the other series I have read at the time in The Age of Fighting Sail.

It really did'nt let up in the action and showed what the main character was all about from the get go.

Cheers

Tom

TRDG
TRDG
Commander
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post by TRDG Tue 14 Feb 2012, 11:07

Still, its another look at our favorite subject and I really liked the direction the books went for the most part. Each writer has something different to offer, sure some may not like or "beleave how lucky" some of the escapades end up being but still worth a good read.

Cheers

Tom
TRDG
TRDG
Commander
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post by leonidas Wed 15 Feb 2012, 02:56

Absolutely TRDG. A really good read in our favourite subject area. And enough in the series to whet the appetite.

However I wonder if Pope had plans to go further with the series. I did read he had major health issues about the time the last one was printed.
leonidas
leonidas
Midshipman
Midshipman

Log Entries : 154

Back to top Go down

Post by TRDG Sat 18 Feb 2012, 15:02

I would think so, but I bet others here might have more info on that, hav'nt gotten the last book yet, kind of savoring that last buy of mine and his last book.

Cheers, thanks for posting!!

Tom
TRDG
TRDG
Commander
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down