Historic Naval Fiction Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
If you would like to help keep this site going please

AS THIS IS A FREE FORUM ADVERTS FROM THE SERVICE PROVIDER APPEAR TO THE RIGHT OF THIS NOTICE AND THEY ARE NOT CONNECTED TO THIS SITE.
Services Menu
PURCHASE BOOKS DISCUSSED
If you have heard about a book in this forum and would now like to read it yourself Astrodene has brought together links to purchase them. Links are available for the UK, USA, Canada, Austalia and New Zealand
ASSOCIATED WEB SITE
ARTICLES OF WAR (Forum rules)
FUTURE RELEASES CALENDAR
IMAGES GALLERY
VIDEO CHANNEL
SUBSCRIBE TO NEWSLETTER
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Julian Stockwin discussion
Ramage Series - Entertaining, despite flaws EmptySat 13 Apr 2024, 15:17 by pauljm

» Not so much Hornblower....
Ramage Series - Entertaining, despite flaws EmptyWed 03 Apr 2024, 11:21 by broughstar

» Someone Write a Biography of Richard Bolitho!
Ramage Series - Entertaining, despite flaws EmptyThu 12 Oct 2023, 16:51 by 80 Winters

» What would you like the next book to cover?
Ramage Series - Entertaining, despite flaws EmptyThu 12 Oct 2023, 08:19 by Port of Olcott

» Douglas Reeman is dying
Ramage Series - Entertaining, despite flaws EmptyThu 12 Oct 2023, 06:56 by Port of Olcott

» Alexander Kent general discussion.
Ramage Series - Entertaining, despite flaws EmptyThu 05 Oct 2023, 22:51 by jkeffer

» A Horatio Hornblower Short Story as Written by ChatGPT
Ramage Series - Entertaining, despite flaws EmptyTue 11 Apr 2023, 01:00 by TonnerreDeBrest

» CSF in First Edition!
Ramage Series - Entertaining, despite flaws EmptyMon 11 Jul 2022, 12:16 by broughstar

» On the Barbary Coast
Ramage Series - Entertaining, despite flaws EmptyWed 01 Jun 2022, 05:10 by 80 Winters

Latest News on the Web Site
Use of Cookies
By using this site, you agree we can set and use cookies. For more details of these cookies and how to disable them, see our cookie policy.

Ramage Series - Entertaining, despite flaws

+9
captain yogi
kujakupoet
malchya
Joolz
TRDG
Maturin y Domanova
Big Joe
Astrodene
reb01501
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Ramage Series - Entertaining, despite flaws Empty Ramage Series - Entertaining, despite flaws

Post by reb01501 Fri 19 Dec 2008, 17:58

The resolutions were a little too pat, and the hero's personal life modeled Nelson's a little too closely (again!), but i still found myself reading through the entire series, groaning when I reached the last one and realized the author was in no condition to finish the series Crying or Very sad

Last edited by reb01501 on Sun 05 Feb 2012, 12:04; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : merging topics)
reb01501
reb01501
Vice-Admiral of the Blue
Vice-Admiral of the Blue

Log Entries : 670

Back to top Go down

Ramage Series - Entertaining, despite flaws Empty Re: Ramage Series - Entertaining, despite flaws

Post by Astrodene Fri 19 Dec 2008, 23:01

I think you summed the series up nicely.

The fact he was a lord (not using his title) and the feud based around his father made it a bit different from some of the other series. Some like Ramage's Diamond where he has the crew split so many ways stretch credulity a bit far but they are a good read

Astrodene
Astrodene
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Log Entries : 2866

http://www.historicnavalfiction.com

Back to top Go down

Ramage Series - Entertaining, despite flaws Empty Re: Ramage Series - Entertaining, despite flaws

Post by Big Joe Tue 18 Jan 2011, 13:40

Interesting you speak about stretching credulity.

After having finished the first volume - which no doubt I enjoyed very much - I had the feeling that Ramage is too good to be true even for a fiction... The 22 year old Lieutenant is mature, intelligent, cool headed in his first command as an experienced old Post Captain just a few days before hoisting his flag...
Big Joe
Big Joe
Master
Master

Log Entries : 126

Back to top Go down

Post by Maturin y Domanova Sat 22 Jan 2011, 16:12

I agree with your take, Big Joe. I have tried a few Ramage books and the hero did seem a bit too dime-novel dashing and amazing (the ladies love him and so do the men!). I will give them a try again in the future but after reading a few I still remain unhooked by Ramage.
Maturin y Domanova
Maturin y Domanova
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Log Entries : 325

Back to top Go down

Post by TRDG Mon 09 May 2011, 16:30

Just finished Ramage's Signal and until this book I did'nt think the above posts rang true, but this book really shows what you guys seem to be talking about, but still a good read in the end.

Cheers, I am just about to open Ramage and the Renegades, I'm curious how this one might go.

Tom
TRDG
TRDG
Commander
Commander

Log Entries : 402

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Joe Mon 09 May 2011, 17:42

I am a little behind you. My next Ramage is Touch. But during the last month I read alternately Ramage and Kydd, and this week it's Kidd Smile

One reason for this is that I can't make up my mind which is better...
Big Joe
Big Joe
Master
Master

Back to top Go down

Post by TRDG Sun 29 May 2011, 12:56

Got it BJ, I won't post anything more til your caught up my friend.

About comparing series, I think each has their own place, so to speak, some "speak" more to me than others but I'm sure I will get all of them in the future.

Kydd seems to have so much more potential and in the end it left me a little off on it. Rammage on the other hand until that last book I comented on really kept me going throughout all of the books, until that one, if you know what I mean I hope.

But everyone has their own tatses in what they think is a great sea going read, I like my variety but some I like better than others. NOT meaning others are bad or anything, just different enough that I do'nt get as much out of it as some other series.

Cheers, thanks for the post sir.

Tom
TRDG
TRDG
Commander
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Joe Sun 29 May 2011, 13:12

I must generally agree with your observation. I would only add that in series that long like the ones we talk about, it would be impossible for the author to keep the same quality for every single volume. Even O'brian had different qualities in his series.
Big Joe
Big Joe
Master
Master

Back to top Go down

Post by TRDG Sun 29 May 2011, 13:46

I hear ya there, more like how they might all mesh together if it happens that situations and topics from other books in the series are used in other ones, kind of.

Cheers, it also depends on ones moods sometimes, yep old HB would just hit the spot tonight for a couple hours, or I feel like I'm in the mood for some Rammage tails or another writers. Each writer tends to bring different things to their books with their Age of Sail "Touch" LOL, if I may say so.

Tom pirat
TRDG
TRDG
Commander
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post by Joolz Wed 13 Jul 2011, 14:52

I am rather partial to Ramage, mainly I think due to Pope's writing style, which for some reason I feel very comfortable with. I find myself gelling with the character despite agreeing with many of the comments above - Ramage is certainly too good to be true, but I suppose that what heroes are! Haven't yet completed the series but will do before long.
Joolz
Joolz
Master
Master

Log Entries : 145

Back to top Go down

Post by malchya Mon 15 Aug 2011, 15:08

I'm actually rereading the Ramage series at the moment. I'm about 2/3rds of the way through Freebooters. I agree with the general opinion expressed in the above posts, though I have to throw out one observation: No one, not even POB, has managed to convey the tropics as well as Pope. His love of and familiarity with the tropics shines through on every page set there.
malchya
malchya
Masters Mate
Masters Mate

Log Entries : 88

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Joe Mon 15 Aug 2011, 16:37

I am in a certain mourning mood. I have just finished last week "Ramage and the Dido" and I am painfully aware that I will never see a new volume. Crying or Very sad
Big Joe
Big Joe
Master
Master

Back to top Go down

Post by malchya Mon 15 Aug 2011, 17:54

Stings a bit, doesn't it? I find I miss Mr. Pope, though perhaps more for his non fiction than fiction.
malchya
malchya
Masters Mate
Masters Mate

Back to top Go down

Post by kujakupoet Sun 21 Aug 2011, 03:21

I read Ramage and the Saracens and didn't like it at all. Are the others better?
kujakupoet
kujakupoet
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Log Entries : 253
. : Ramage Series - Entertaining, despite flaws Author12

http://NarrowSeas.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by reb01501 Sun 21 Aug 2011, 12:15

It's been a few years, but I remember that one was pretty typical .

reb01501
Vice-Admiral of the Blue
Vice-Admiral of the Blue

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Joe Sun 21 Aug 2011, 13:58

I agree it is typical. But I disagree with the dislike. But then, we all have our personal and individual tastes.
Big Joe
Big Joe
Master
Master

Back to top Go down

Post by malchya Sun 21 Aug 2011, 17:26

I enjoyed these very much, at least the earlier ones in the series, for what they were - adventure fiction set in the AoS genre. I still enjoy them as light period reading. They are typical, but that doesn't mean they can't be entertaining. (I mean, good lord, has anyone here ever read Louis L'Amour?)
malchya
malchya
Masters Mate
Masters Mate

Back to top Go down

Post by reb01501 Sun 21 Aug 2011, 18:56

Oh, I didn't mean that it was typical of the genre as a whole: I meant it was a typical Ramage episode, meaning that if he didn't like this one, he probably wouldn't enjoy the rest of them. And vice versa of course.

And yes, I did go through a phase of reading L'Amour and Max Brand westerns a few decades ago, when I had gone through my local library's stock of science fiction and fantasy books (this was before the inter-library loan system came into being).

reb01501
Vice-Admiral of the Blue
Vice-Admiral of the Blue

Back to top Go down

Post by Astrodene Sun 21 Aug 2011, 19:02

malchya wrote:I enjoyed these very much, at least the earlier ones in the series, for what they were - adventure fiction set in the AoS genre. I still enjoy them as light period reading. They are typical, but that doesn't mean they can't be entertaining.
I think that sums the series up nicely

Astrodene
Astrodene
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Log Entries : 2866

http://www.historicnavalfiction.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TRDG Tue 23 Aug 2011, 15:47

kujakupoet wrote:I read Ramage and the Saracens and didn't like it at all. Are the others better?

Kei

I'd start off with the first book in the series then go from there, up to signals, there it gets kind of unreal, at least to me.

Cheers, I do think the series is worth getting, as it is another different "type" of Age of Sail reading, can't have enough of that!!

Also it helps if you read one right after the other and don't switch off to another series in between.

I did a lot of switching and now I plan to reread all of the "main 5 series", book by book and in series order, starting with Lambdin, on book 5 now.

Tom
TRDG
TRDG
Commander
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post by captain yogi Tue 30 Aug 2011, 23:38

I have read most of the Ramage series,enjoyed most of them.One fault of the series,is Popes reluctance to kill off any of Ramages regular crew,or perhaps that happens later!
captain yogi
captain yogi
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Log Entries : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Joe Wed 31 Aug 2011, 09:54

captain yogi wrote:I have read most of the Ramage series,enjoyed most of them.One fault of the series,is Popes reluctance to kill off any of Ramages regular crew,or perhaps that happens later!

Sounds a bit bloodthirsty, doesn't it? Laughing
Big Joe
Big Joe
Master
Master

Back to top Go down

Post by captain yogi Sat 29 Oct 2011, 16:41

Yes, I like my HNF like my crime fiction....Hardboiled!!
captain yogi
captain yogi
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Log Entries : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by leonidas Sun 20 Nov 2011, 07:08

Have now read the first two Ramage novels in sequence. Enjoyable and the pace is good. Ramage certainly has luck and some strong men on his side. The Kathleens certainly liked him and served him well.

Will continue with the rest.

Moderating Moved to Ramage series topic to make it easier to find. The Dudley Pope topic is intended to be a generic topic for the discussion of Pope's works as a whole.
leonidas
leonidas
Midshipman
Midshipman

Log Entries : 154

Back to top Go down

Post by leonidas Sat 04 Feb 2012, 19:58

Finished the last of the books yesterday. I interspersed them with several other books for I did not want them to end.
Highly enjoyable but Ramage's luck and that of his close crew is phenomenal!
Well worth the reading time.

Moderating Moved to Ramage series topic to make it easier to find. The Dudley Pope topic is intended to be a generic topic for the discussion of Pope's works as a whole.
leonidas
leonidas
Midshipman
Midshipman

Log Entries : 154

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next